Already Have Your Jack O Lantern Dying? Here's How To Make It Last

Photo: Getty Images/Srinrat Wuttichaikitcharoen

So you've already carved your pumpkin for Halloween, and it's already starting to die on you. You don't want all your hard work to go to waste. So how do you make your Jack O Lantern last longer?? These tips will help.

Clean the inside- Scrape all the pumpkin guts out really well because they’ll get moldy quickly. Wipe down the surface and inside with a teaspoon full of bleach per one quart of water to kill any bacteria and let it dry before carving.

After you carve, give it a bleach-water bath- Submerge your carved pumpkin in a bucket filled with water and ⅔ cup of bleach and let it soak for up to 24 hours.

Grease it up- Apply Vaseline, vegetable oil, or WD-40 to the carved edges to keep them from drying out too fast. But all of these are flammable, so only use a flameless votive inside, not a candle.

Rehydrate daily- Pumpkins will shrivel without moisture, so spray it every day with water mixed with a few drops of bleach.

Stick it in the fridge overnight- Store it in a plastic bag in the fridge or in the basement, or some other cool, dark area of the house when you’re not showing off your Jack-o’-lantern on the porch.

Give it an ice bath- If your gourd starts to wilt, try an ice bath overnight. And dry it completely so it doesn’t get moldy.

Skip the real candles- They heat the pumpkin up, so try a flickering flameless candle or glow sticks instead.

Don’t let it freeze- Bring it inside at night if the weather is freezing.

Don’t carve it- It may seem anti-Halloween, but it’ll stay fresh for much longer if you opt to paint the pumpkin instead.

title

Content Goes Here